First piece in our new AJR Forum on ancient medicine: "Asking the Right Questions in Roman Public Health"
Wazer: “Scobie and the Victorian sanitarians share a conception of what it means to write the history of Roman public health. Both organize instances of public action related to health into narratives of sanitary progress, always with modern standards in mind. Rome is understood to be either an admirable early forerunner of modern public sanitation, or — after Scobie — another example of how wrong-headed all pre-modern people were with regard to their own collective health. Such an approach necessarily simplifies the historical context of each period included in order to emphasize the narrative leading to the achievements of modern medicine. What is left out from such assessments of ancient public health is how Romans themselves understood the role of the state in their collective health.”
Articles and News
- Latest volume of Dead Sea Scrolls Discoveries released – including articles on forgery and provenance – and new Journal of Early Christian Studies.
- Fabulous speakers and schedule at Rose-Marie Lewent Conference on the "Dead Sea Scrolls at 70" announced.
- Yeshiva University Museum's Arch of Titus conference announced, with fantastic line-up.
- Mira Balberg’s new book on rabbinic reinvention of sacrifice released.
- Jenna Joselit reviews Steven Fine’s latest book on the menorah for Material Religion.
- More than thirty thousand images of Latin inscriptions freshly online at the Epigraphische Datenbank Heidelberg.
- Great review of Chazan et al's new volume on the trial of the Talmud in thirteenth-century Paris.
- Excellent piece from Sarah Imhoff talks augmenting disability studies' approach to religion via Jewishness.
- Flagship Paul and Patristics database, enabling searches for references to Paul in all Christian works from the first four centuries CE!
Gerasa mosaic with depictions of Alexandria and Memphis. Yale University Art Gallery. pic.twitter.com/B35cj4P69h— Laura Nasrallah (@lnasrallah) 4 October 2017