Book Note: Todd S. Berzon, Classifying Christians: Ethnography, Heresiology, and the Limits of Knowledge (Oakland: University of California Press, 2016)
Maldonado Rivera: "One of Berzon's constant reminders is that powerful ideologies and strategies of representation often strive to hide their own seams and points of tension, but that it is in the process of highlighting these very points of tension that they find themselves at their most reproducible but also at their most frail."
Book Note: Mette Bundvad, Time in the Book of Ecclesiastes (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2015)
Petersen: "This monograph, full of well-crafted prose and clearly presented argumentation, should be regarded as an important contribution to scholarship of Qohelet and the Hebrew Bible more broadly. It turns the spotlight on one of the recurrent yet underappreciated themes in Qohelet, and raises helpful questions about the presence of "meta-reflection" within ancient Jewish literature."
Articles and News
- Flagship post on the Sheffield University Shiloh Project on rape culture and the Bible tackles the New Testament.
- ICYMI the Empire of Faith's completed blog series, 'Images of Mithra.'
- New page at Following Hadrian blog on Herod's fortress at Machaerus.
- AJS, the Association for Jewish Studies, launches their new website.
- The American Numismatic Society updates its Online Coins of the Roman Empire (OCRE) database with powerful new search options.
- Mathura Umachandran on white fragility and defensiveness in Classical Studies.
- Review of Eleni Pachoumi's technical monograph on divinity in Greek magical papyri.
- Sarah Bond on polychromy, ancient statues, and race science.
- List of manuscripts digitized as of Spring 2017 by the British Library's current projects.