Dr. Michael Satlow responds to the AJR Charity forum, concluding "we can no more speak of 'the' rabbinic view of charity than we can of “the” rabbinic view of anything else."
ARTICLES AND NEWS
- Haaretz write up of limestone caves in Galilee (which they connect to the Jewish Revolt).
- First Temple period gate shrine discovered in Lachish.
- Ancient Roman coins were discovered in a ruined Japanese castle in Okinawa.
- William Brown reviews Jonathan Milgram's From Mesopotamia to the Mishnah at Mohr Siebeck Religion.
- The Forgotten Gardens of Petra have been rediscovered.
- Review of the new Jerusalem exhibition at the Met.
- Sarah Bond on the top five ancient and medieval censored books to read during banned book week.
- An alleged triclinium was found in Second Temple Jerusalem.
Apocalypse and Authenticity Conference https://t.co/3TmJ5LkSlF— James F. McGrath (@ReligionProf) September 28, 2016
Definitely *much* under-valued+under-studied, though also so poorly attested tht difficult to prove/disprove any such superlative. Thoughts? https://t.co/33OvIWSDuX— Annette Yoshiko Reed (@AnnetteYReed) September 26, 2016