Dr. Gregg Gardner describes the tannaitic attention to the dignity of the poor, while insisting "The earliest rabbis were simply not as altruistic as many people today would like them to be."
ARTICLES AND NEWS
- Detailed analysis of the newly decoded En Gedi scroll, which was decoded by means of digital unwrapping .
- At Forbes, Sarah Bond discusses the ethics of the 3D printed Palmyrene Roman monumental arch in New York's City Hall Park.
- A stone with a menorah etched on it was discovered (in secondary use?) in the excavations of Abila, Jordan. Abila was one of the cities of the Decapolis.
- Check out the British Library's Greek Manuscript Project.
- Nice summary of the discussion around the reconstructed Temple Mount floor.
- A brief write up of the history of cat domestication.
- At Bible Odyssey, Andrew Perrin discusses Aramaic literature in the Dead Sea Scrolls.
- Mary Beard on America as Rome.
Congratulations to AJR's @KristaNDalton, who is now ABD!— Ancient Jew Review (@ancientjew) September 23, 2016