Dr. Beth Berkowitz reviews Chris Hayes' What's Divine About Divine Law with a "Container Store" worthy synopsis and explores the modern relevance of Hayes' work in the recent Supreme Court ruling on Same-Sex Marriage.
ARTICLES AND NEWS
- At Religion Dispatches, Laura Levitt discusses how Jacob Neusner influenced her writing and scholarship (and some of the less laudatory aspects of his pedagogy).
- An open source project to rebuild Palmyra.
- Sarah Bond discusses ancient and medieval sweets to make for the holiday season.
- The New Yorker writes up an Ottolenghi feast put on at the Met to accompany the Jerusalem exhibit.
- BMCR Review of edited Companion to Josephus.
- Mary Beard on the end of the Roman Empire twitter storm and "immigration."
- Archaeological excavations in Tel Dan are being used to suggest that the Danites may have originated in the Aegean. (with the obvious provisos about the truth of this claim).
The Dead Sea Scrolls Seventy Years Later. Manuscripts, Traditions, Interpretations, and Their Biblical Context https://t.co/ocxMScFxG6— James F. McGrath (@ReligionProf) December 7, 2016